What's Inside Your Heart as a Coach?
As coaches we spend a lot of time, effort and money getting coach-specific training and credentials. We take the business of BEing a coach very seriously. We do our best to honor and live our own values. We aim to express ourselves authentically—both in our businesses and in our lives.
We recognize we have shortcomings and are always learning. We learn how to ask questions so that our clients can provide their own answers. We want our clients to be the best they can be, to see the same unique, wonderful person that we see when coaching them!
And when our clients connect with what they really want, why, and begin to take action, magical things happen!
So, What’s Inside A Coach’s Heart? Here Are 20 Traits Of Coaches:
- Our clients pay for our time and expertise—our hearts are free.
- We’re passionate about coaching and provide a sacred space for our clients to create a life they love.
- We see our clients as the experts of their lives—naturally creative, resourceful and whole.
- Change is both challenging and thrilling. We help our clients overcome their obstacles and to access the joy and excitement of life!
- We encourage, support and believe in our clients, even (especially) when they do not.
- We recognize that we have shortcomings and welcome feedback from our clients.
- The Coach-Client relationship is one of mutual respect. We love and accept our clients as they are and do not
- We help our clients learn to trust and befriend themselves and let go of negative baggage.
- Confidentiality is key. We welcome ALL of our clients to our coaching sessions: thoughts, fears, feelings, failures and secret yearnings—these are all safe with us.
- We think possibility, not probability. We help our clients find innovative solutions, try new things, take risks, get out of their comfort zones and soar!
- Our clients’ inner critics don’t scare us. We see past the critics and judges to the strong, kind, brave, inspiring, unique people that our clients are.
- Feelings, beliefs, thoughts and needs are what guide our lives. We love to listen to and explore these together with our clients!
- We hold our clients accountable for what they say they’re going to do.
- Our clients lead busy, full lives. We help our clients prioritize themselves, so they don’t put other people, or less important tasks, ahead of themselves.
- We support and challenge our clients, so they see themselves and the world in the most positive light.
- We love to celebrate! We help our clients reflect, pause and take action to celebrate their successes.
- Our goal is to help our clients get focused on what they love, value and want from life. We want our clients to come “alive.”
- We never stop learning. We help our clients more as we grow in knowledge, experience and self-awareness.
- We work to see ourselves and the world in the most positive light, while also embracing the reality and challenges of life.
- We love our jobs!
If you’re a coach, you are a powerful enabler. You belong to a worldwide community that helps people achieve their fullest potential! Feel proud of yourself and the important world-enlivening work that you do.
“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” –Harold Thurman
Do you have any coach traits to add? If so, we’d love you to share them by commenting below!
That’s a great article. I totally agree with every word. Thank you for having the time to put it all together!
Dear Eduardo, thank-you for taking the time to comment 🙂 So glad you like the article! Warmly, Emma-Louise
Like the concept/idea of ‘what’s inside a coaches heart’ and the traits you shared. Some thoughts that got triggered from reading your article are:
A coaches heart is filled with love.
We hold the space for creativity.
We listen and challenge the status quo.
We witness the unfolding of the clients journey.
Thanks Emma-Louise Elsey.
thank-you for your kind words, and additions! I may have to update the article to include these 🙂 I especially like the witnessing and holding the space – which of course is an important part of what coaches do.
Dear Emma! It is always inspiring hear from you… Through your tools, your articles, your newletters… Whatever you do you always put your heart into it. I love the way you share and passion of coaching. This article also the voice of the coaches that live with their values. Thanks for sharing.
Dear Duygu, what a lovely comment! Thank-you so much for taking the time to write 🙂 Warmly, Emma-Louise
Great article. Really made me feel proud to be a Coach!
I love The Coaching Tools Company too!